domenica, luglio 09, 2006

Viva Las Vegas

Since I'm still not tired, some highlights from this week's trip:

1. We had a successful high school reunion. Because last time I looked up "success" in Websters, it said, "40 members of a graduating class of 240 getting together for a great buffet dinner, exchanging stories with people they barely remember but like more now than they did then, having a generally great time, and then parting ways to talk again in another ten years."

2. I only lost $30 on the week in gambling, and I did quite a bit of it. I was up on slots (go figure, at MGM of all places), even on roulette (I was up at Suncoast and then MGM took it back), and down on blackjack (everywhere, even my brother's beloved Ellis Island).

3. I was the only person (well one of two people) wearing an Italia jersey in a German beer hall for the Italy-Germany World Cup semi-final game. A really FULL German beer hall. With lots of German people. And, I think, the Las Vegas German-American Society, or something of that nature. That's okay; a 70-year-old lady had my back.

4. I stayed in a sweet room (known as a "Jacuzzi Suite," I believe, for reasons that I hope are self-evident) at the MGM Grand for three nights.

5. I drove around a Ford Mustang Convertible for the week. Hey, I've always wanted to have a convertible, so I went ahead and reserved the "standard convertible" from Hertz, figuring it would be a Sebring or something (and forgetting that it was going to be 110 degrees outside). When I got there, they gave me a choice of Sebring, PT Cruiser, Miata, or Mustang; so which would you choose? (It's rhetorical. If you say "Miata," you better be a girl. A really girly girl. Or I'll hit you. If you say "PT Cruiser," I'll hit you regardless. And then you should hit yourself. Repeatedly. Go ahead. Keep going. Until I say stop.)

6. I ate a ribeye steak that brought tears to my eyes (for good reasons) (at Hank's, at the Green Valley Ranch).

7. I may have had a cocktail or two, here and there.

8. Oh yeah, I saw Pearl Jam on my last night. In the best concert seats I've ever had. As in, on the floor right next to (a little to the side of) the stage. A little Eddie sweat being flung our way every now and then. And regardless of the seating, it was one of the best damn concerts I've ever been too. When whoever invented the term "it rocks" invented the term, that's what they meant. Pictures pending, if someone gets around to emailing them to me... (my camera and phone stopped working).

9. Did I mention that I flew first class there and back? (Well, at least on the legs from and to Atlanta, anyway.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

Well I don't know that I can help you out with pictures from the concert - I think we only have a few crappy phone camera shots - but I'll do you one better.

How about the "official bootleg" of the concert? Two hours of Pearl Jam goodness in mp3 form with no DRM restrictions:

http://www.garduque.net/secretfolder/PearlJam-Vegas-07-06-2006/

I burned them onto CD (2 disc set) and they sound great in the home stereo.

10:34 PM, luglio 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

It seems to have cut off the link, but I think you can figure it out.

10:35 PM, luglio 10, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks. I think you're probably right; I can figure it out. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to burn CDs on a Mac....

10:24 PM, luglio 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

who's laura?

5:27 PM, luglio 14, 2006  

Posta un commento

<< Home