mercoledì, giugno 14, 2006

Anyone know if the Italians have a Witness Protection Program?

Finally got around to reporting the credit card fraud of which I was a victim a couple weeks ago. Went to base security, who took my report and sent me to the Italian law enforcement liaison office. They took me out in town to the local polizia to file another report out there. The liaison (a retired police LtCol, so he knows what he's talking about) was pretty certain that the government would be investigating it because it was so much money and because it was almost certainly "gang" related. Which made me a little nervous, because around here, "gang" generally refers to some sort of organized crime syndicate...which in southern Italy is not something you really want to get too mixed up in. The cops asked me if I'd be able to identify the waiter who stole my card if I saw him again, and I (somewhat reluctantly) told them yes (although I'd really rather him not see that I pointed him out). I showed them the receipt I had kept from the restaraunt, to point out the restaraunt's name and address, which caused them all to start talking things over in Italian. Granted, my Italian's not that great, but I did catch when they were referring to the restaraunt that it belongs to a "molte importante famiglia" (very important family) (emphasis on the word FAMILY). So it didn't take too long for me to connect the dots: Southern Italy...family...gang...crime.... hmm....

Yeah, I just can't wait for that investigator to call. Always wanted to be a witness in a mob case.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

Good luck!!

6:26 AM, giugno 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

You could go to Sicily... isn't that where Michael went?

10:45 PM, giugno 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

You might be forced to move back to America and go underground as some kind of law student in the middle of Connecticut. Or some crazy shit like that.

6:49 AM, giugno 16, 2006  

Posta un commento

<< Home