mercoledì, agosto 10, 2005

The communication gap is sort of becoming a pain. My landlord's mother yesterday afternoon scolded me for leaving my porch light on when I went to work. I think. They're very concerned about electricity over here; apparently it's pretty expensive. To add to that, I'm currently using my landlord's electricity. The base housing office won't let you move into your apartment until the electricity is turned on, and the electric company couldn't do mine until later this week. My landlord really wanted me to be able to move in on Monday, so he jury-rigged my house to his meter. So I have been trying to keep the electrical use to a minimum. Which is not hard since I don't have TV yet and since I don't have Internet access, I haven't really had to use the computer.

Also yesterday, I think my landlord's mother's old lady friend invited me to dinner. Or offered to cook for me. Or something. I think. It's really very hard to tell. I did figure out that she was asking me how old I was and whether I was married or had a girlfriend. So maybe she has a daughter she wants to set me up with.... Or maybe she just wants to know that nobody will be home during the day so she can hire someone to rob me. Either way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

I know some guys who can sell you a surveillance system. Cheap.

3:04 AM, agosto 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

Might be a good idea to invest in an Italian/American dictionary ... soon! Or use those computer Italian courses you have!

4:35 AM, agosto 12, 2005  
Blogger Chris said...

I have the dictionary. Used it yesterday to convey to the landlord's mom that I understood that I needed to call the housing office to switch the electricity from the landlord's name into my name today. What I could not convey, and what I will probably have to convey tonight when I get home, is that her son-in-law is the one who switched the wiring and will have to switch it back.

Also, don't need a surveillance system. I've got so many stinking locks on my house, it's like a fortress.

6:27 PM, agosto 12, 2005  

Posta un commento

<< Home