mercoledì, luglio 27, 2005

I'm so sick of living in a hotel. Been here for 47 days now, and I really, really want to move into my own place with my own furniture and stuff. Not that it's a bad room or anything, and it's got a balcony overlooking the little "town square" on base. Unfortunately, said "town square" becomes the hangout for all the kids on base between the hours of 6pm-9pm or so, and really, I just want some peace and quiet then. Realizing this makes me very glad I opted for the apartment in the suburbs rather than in the middle of the beach town. Fortunately I should be able to move in next week. I sign the contract on Wednesday, so hopefully I can move in then.

Any recommendations for where to go/what to do/where to eat/etc. when I'm in Rome this weekend?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That's what they say.

6:15 PM, luglio 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

Too late for this weekend, but I just finished reading Wine Spectator's current issue, and it has an article titled, appropriately enough, "When in Rome." So, the highlights:

Things to eat: coda alla vaccinara (braised oxtail), trippa alla romana (stewed tripe--really good if made right), spaghetti alla carbonara (spaghetti w/ eggs and bacon), cacio e pepe (w/ pecorino and black pepper).

Supposedly good places to eat:
Ciampini (cafe), 29 Piazza San Lorenzo -- supposedly some of the best coffee in Rome
Alternatively, Sant' Eustachio, older/ less trendy place, 82 Piazza Sant' Eustachio

Recent "trendy" thing to do, also reported in NYT: visit the Obika Mozzarella Bar on Piazza Firenze, a restaurant that serves nothing but different handmade, real, regional mozzarella -- sort of like a sushi bar, or one of those 'concept' restaurants.

Gelato -- Il Gelato di San Crispino, 42 Via della Pantelleria, near Trevi Fountain

Trattoria -- Cul de Sac, near Piazza Navona, 73 Piazza Pasquino.

Seafood (very pricey, as in $50-$100 per entree) -- La Rosetta, a Michelin starred place, 8/9 Via della Rosetta


Shirley

12:02 AM, agosto 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

Whining about 47 days? Wuss. Talk to me when you've been in the same hotel room for 18 months.

4:23 PM, agosto 09, 2005  

Posta un commento

<< Home