venerdì, agosto 04, 2006

In hot water

No, that's a good thing, really. Just got my hot water working again today; it's been out for most of the week. It was one of those typical Neapolitan mornings: wake up and find out that your electricity has tripped off, then discover that you have no hot water, and finally when you go to check the gas tank out back to make sure it's full enough to make hot water, you get stung by a wasp. Awesome.

I think I'm ready to take the equivalency test for my Italian degree in electrical engineering. I spent awhile trying to figure out what was wrong with the hot water heater and eventually concluded that there was no power going to the control box. I concluded this based on the fact that all the lights were out and the pilot light was out, and the "reset" button wasn't relighting it. So my landlord's mother-in-law and mother came over and called my landlord (he's on vacation in Sardinia) and he attempted to direct them in troubleshooting for about 20 minutes. I told them, "there's no electricity," but I don't think they believed me. So about 2 hours later, my landlord's brother-in-law came over and I told him, "there's no electricity." And he went ahead and called my landlord and spent 20 minutes trying to troubleshoot it. And what does he tell me when he hangs up? "There's no electricity." They finally got someone in to fix it today, thankfully. And now it's all better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

But did you tell them, "there's no electricity" in Italian?!

2:18 PM, agosto 09, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes. All Italian conversations have been translated into English to protect the innocent. Maybe I'll start denoting that in italics.

Get it? Italics!

6:27 PM, agosto 09, 2006  

Posta un commento

<< Home