lunedì, febbraio 06, 2006

Posting from work today. Why? I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 on my computer on Friday, and it's so secure, I can't connect to the Internet anymore. Can't even talk to my wireless router or my stereo box. Then I go to try and change the firewall settings and it tells me I don't have permission to change those settings. If I don't, who the hell does? And of course, the help file has nothing in it to help me, and I can't connect to the web site for tech support because, hey, it's on the internet, which I can't see. So I figure, hey, there must be a phone number I can call. So I search the help file, and sure enough, "if you would prefer telephone support, please call the tech support number shown on...our website." So I figure, hey, I'll just uninstall and reinstall. Well, when I go into add/remove programs, Norton Internet Security doesn't even show up. I tried to uninstall the one Norton program that did show up, and it wouldn't let me. If I can't fix it tonight, I'm going to blow up my computer.

In other, less annoying, news, found a decent jazz club in Naples the other night. Unfortunately, the friends we met up with to go there after dinner said it was "right up the street and around the corner." After a 45-minute walk straight uphill, we disagreed. It was a nice place, though.

And in a vote of confidence for the American way of life, we didn't have to come into work until 1 p.m. today so that we could all stay up and watch the Super Bowl (which started at 12:30 a.m. our time).

Update: I can access the internet again. Not sure what I did, but I think it involved turning off all my security settings and posting all my passwords on a public website. I can neither uninstall nor reinstall any Symantec (i.e., Norton) products on my computer. I'm going to bed shortly, but when I get up I'm going to write to the nice people at Symantec and ask them WTF is going on.

Also, if there were hypothetically an office pool for the Super Bowl in which I had been hypothetically participating, I would have won a hypothetical $250.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

Hmm. Previous attempted post does not seem to want to post. Anyway, here is a link to site that will walk you through how to fix your Norton problem.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2004093015165236&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=

If that doesn't work, look for "Removing your Norton program using SymNRT", Document No. :2005033108162039 at symantec.com.


-Shirley

10:27 PM, febbraio 07, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks, but I tried that. Doesn't work. It won't let me connect to the Symantec server to download the file. I'm asking them to send it to me on disk.

10:30 PM, febbraio 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

OK. Go check your "post" email account. I'm emailing you the programs.

10:40 PM, febbraio 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonimo said...

By the way, I just got the voicemail message you left me way back asking for help with computer problems. Sorry 'bout that. I only use that phone to talk to the little lady, so I don't usually check it for messages. Let me know if you're still up a creek.

2:41 AM, febbraio 18, 2006  

Posta un commento

<< Home