domenica, giugno 26, 2005

So imagine my delight when I checked out the baseball standings this morning to find out the Sox are in first place. I'm sure it'll only last until late August or maybe mid-September, but I'll enjoy it for now. Especially since I can't actually see any of the games because even if they are broadcast over here, they're on at like 1 a.m.

Anyway, I'm back from London. Friday was fairly uneventful; did poker night with some guys from the office there. Flew back yesterday and went straight to a cookout that one of the guys in the office was having here in Naples. Unfortunately I haven't driven here at night yet, and I'm still shaky on finding my way around during the day, so I got hopelessly lost trying to find my way back from the base afterwards. Spent like an hour and a half longer than it should have taken, driving around random Italian highways and backroads trying to figure out where the hell I was.

Did a day trip to Rome today with a guided tour that the USO here runs. It's a very nice place; a lot cleaner and more organized than I would have thought. Spent some time at the Colosseum and some other sights, but we didn't really have too long to spend there. I figure I'd use it more as a way to get my feet wet and get an easy introduction to the Eternal City before trying to find my way around there myself. But it looks pretty easy; everything is fairly central, so I think the first long weekend I get I'm going to grab a cheap hotel room and see what there is to see there without having to rush. It did remind me why I hate going on guided tours--inevitably there's something I want to see that the tour doesn't cover, or I want to spend longer in one place that everyone else wants to rush by, or else I actually understand the concept of the arch and don't need the guide to explain it to me for half an hour.

Tomorrow starts the next phase of my Capitals of the World Tour. Yesterday I was in London. Today I was in Rome. Tomorrow I'll be in Oslo (Norway, in case you're stretching the limits of your geographic knowledge). Next week I'll be in DC. Oslo is going to be great. We were in Norway two years ago during the summer during deployment, and it was great. Plus it's full of gorgeous blonde women, especially southern Norway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

2.5 games up on Baltimore, 5.5 up on NY....I'm sure they'll manage to blow it.

8:41 PM, giugno 28, 2005  

Posta un commento

<< Home