venerdì, giugno 17, 2005

So, I have a housing dilemma, and I need some help. It's amazing what my housing allowance over here will buy--I saw like seven or eight places today, all of them (well, most of them) VERY nice, and none of them smaller than three bedrooms. I have it narrowed down to two, both of which I love, but they're very different:

Place #1: First-floor apartment in a three apartment unit, in a semi-rural setting.

PROS: It has a yard, which here is apparently practically impossible to come by, even in semi-rural apartments (granted, the "yard" is more of a garden; a grassy area of about 20x80 ft just off the back porch). Separate outside entrance. Landlord and wife live next door, and their mother lives in the other unit, so it should be good security if I'm off on travel (the same gate goes to the security fence for the whole building). Rooftop terrace with GORGEOUS view of the Mediterranean and surrounding area; will be populated with patio furniture, etc. Landlord and wife, while not speaking any English, are very friendly and have a boat that they take to Sardinia frequently during the summer (Sardinia being an island off the coast of Italy, a little further north; apparently it's very similar to being in the Caribbean--white sand, clear water, that sort of thing). They have invited me to go along should I move into the apartment. Very new place; lots of marble. Oh, and out back on the other side of the garden, there actually is a vineyard.

CONS: Covered parking, but only a carport, no garage. Small kitchen. No A/C. Have to drive a ways to get to any downtown-type things to do (bars, restaraunts, stores, etc.). E50 above my allowance.

Place #2: Second-floor apartment in a two-apartment unit, close to the middle of downtown in a little seaside town that reminds me of sort of an Italian version of maybe Vineyard Haven or Hyannis or something (but with more apartments, and closer together; really maybe more like Westerly).

PROS: Location--right downtown, within walking distance of pizza, bars, restaraunts. Very modern apartment--recessed lights in the ceiling, electrically-operated blinds, that sort of thing. Also very new and lots of marble. A really gorgeous place inside, actually. Balcony with very nice sea views, although not quite as spectacular as the rooftop terrace at the other place. A/C. Huge kitchen. Garage.

CONS: Not as secure a place as the other--I have my own separate entrance and security fence, which looks not too hard to get through. Landlord not on premisis, but his cousin lives downstairs. Being in a resort town will mean lots of traffic in and out. Significantly longer commute to work and anywhere else. E150 above my allowance.

So you see my problem. Two great places, but great in different ways.

Any advice?

The other dilemma is that I picked up my car today. Guess who has no idea how to drive a standard? I drove it about 1/4 mile, just to move it from off base to on base, and I stalled twice. At least the speed limit on base is low enough that I never have to leave 1st gear...but I'm screwed when I try to drive against the Italians off base. Oh well. I'm renting a car this weekend so I can practice, and that way I burn up their clutch instead of mine. Suckers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

What did you buy for a car?

1:53 AM, giugno 18, 2005  
Blogger Chris said...

'92 BMW 320i. Old enough to be cheap, small enough to get around Naples, big enough to carry around any visiting guests, and dependable enough to drive around Europe (I hope).

12:57 PM, giugno 18, 2005  

Posta un commento

<< Home