lunedì, aprile 17, 2006

Happy More Easter

A couple months ago, one of the Catholic chaplains for the base announced they might be able to get us tickets for Easter vigil Mass in the Vatican. So of course I emailed him that I was interested and then promptly forgot about it. Until Thursday, when he emailed me back telling me I had two tickets reserved in my name at the US Bishops' Office in Rome and had to pick them up by 12:30 on Saturday afternoon. So, unable to find suitable hotel accomodations on a day's notice, a bunch of us decided to drive up and back to Rome on Saturday. We made it to the bishops' office with 15 minutes to spare before closing time. Unfortunately, they had already given our tickets away (apparently it wasn't technically a reservation). So we decided to go anyway and ended up sitting in St Peter's Square watching the Mass on the big TVs, which was still pretty cool. Also got to take a nap on the nice, grassy hill by the Colosseum and the Roman Forum (I didn't want to pay to take the Colosseum tour for the third time, having done it most recently three weeks ago).

Had a bunch of folks over for Easter dinner yesterday. Nothing fancy...traditional Easter ribs on the grill, chips, wasabi potato salad, and the like. It was the first time I'd ever cooked ribs, and I have to say, I did a damn fine job. Brought some up to my landlord's family since they bring me stuff all the time, and they seemed to be happy about it, although they had apparently just finished eating when I brought them up and weren't all that eager to dive right in.

Going to Copenhagen tomorrow through Sunday. That should be a good time. My job rocks.