lunedì, dicembre 05, 2005

I think I'm now in a vicious cycle...as I mentioned, my landlord and his wife had me up to their apartment for coffee yesterday and loaded me up with food and wine to take home. So to reciprocate, today I brought them about $50 of Budweiser, Coke, and cocoa. So to reciprocate for that, they had me up for dinner and fed me fresh swordfish, giant shrimp, minestrone soup, artichokes, olives, melanzane (some kind of Italian vegetable that I have no idea what it actually is, but it's delicious), gelato, wine, coffee, and some kind of really good apertif made out of some kind of berry. I'm stuffed; don't think I can eat for the next two days. So now I have to figure out how to reciprocate for that. I think we're almost at the point where I buy them a boat. Got to learn some more Italian words and phrases tonight. I managed to convey the fact that my father and brother work for a company that puts electronic things for lights and thermostats into hotels. And that my father used to be in the Navy. And a few other things. Keep in mind that there are a lot of hand motions and miming to go along with these conversations. I challenge anyone to a game of charades when I get back; I guarantee I'll kick your ass.

Oh, I decided I need to get Italian TV, both because it'll help me continue to learn Italian and also because during dinner we watched my new favorite TV show, "Guardia Costeria." If you're thinking, "gee, that sounds a lot like 'Coast Guard,' " that's because it is. And if you're thinking, "wow, that sounds like a cross between 'Baywatch' and 'JAG' but with the Italian Coast Guard," you'd also be correct. I only understood about a fifth of the conversation, but it still seems like a fine show. And it co-stars Catherine Bell. Imagine that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonimo said...

$50 of bud and coke? That should last them a year. Although I guess it's imported, so maybe not. If I recall, Guinness in Ireland was cheaper than Bud. Crazy Europeans.

6:01 AM, dicembre 06, 2005  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, the Bud and Coke only came up to about $20. It was the two giant bottles of grain alcohol that I got them that did the trick. They're going to teach me to make limoncello, which basically consists of lemon peels, sugar, and alcohol.

7:59 PM, dicembre 06, 2005  

Posta un commento

<< Home