domenica, novembre 13, 2005

So despite having pretty much partied ourselves out the previous night, last night the same group of us, plus one other couple, decided to go out for dinner in downtown Napoli. I got to drive. It was my first time driving through downtown, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed like it would be. Once you put yourself into the maniacal mindset of the Neapolitan driver, you can sort of feel the flow of traffic and just go crazy yourself without hitting anything. Well, without hitting anything important. (Note: if you happen to be my mother and ever have any intention of riding in my car when driving through downtown Naples, I recommend you first heavily sedate yourself, and then ride in the backseat with your eyes closed.)

Met up with a couple lovely young American ladies--friends of the couple whose house we had been at the prevous night--who work here doing biology research at the university. Had a great dinner, and then I got to drive them home. They live in the old city center of Naples. Getting there involved a lot of driving through alleyways barely wider than my car, and a lot of going the wrong way up one-way streets while honking at pedestrians to get out of the way. I think there's a video game based on driving through Naples. If not, there should be.