venerdì, ottobre 14, 2005

Went to the "NATO Bazaar" this evening. Which is pretty much just like it sounds: an exciting evening that the NATO base here holds every year for charity, where they invite in vendors from "all over Europe" to sell their various cultural wares. Which basically means they have a bunch of booths set up that resemble the tourist shops in all the major cities where you can buy postcards (not here though) and all the other little kitsch stuff that the particular country is known for (amber jewelry, Christmas eggs, leather jackets, etc.). Although to be fair, there were a few pretty good booths, some of them with some extremely good values. They also had a bunch of international food booths set up, with food from all over Europe (well, NATO, anyway. The people from these countries actually worked there and made the food, and it was quite good). Anyway, I ended up blowing some cash on a set of six wine glasses and six champagne flutes, all hand-blown (or rather, I guess, mouthblown, crystal from Hungary) for a very reasonable price. This was before I asked myself, "when the hell will you ever need six champagne flutes?" (Wine glasses are a whole different story; you can never have too many of those. Especially since I'm planning on sending my allotted shipment of 500 bottles of Italian wine with me when I move back to the states.) At one point, in front of the booth selling fine bone china, I also found myself saying out loud, "Man, I could really use a nice tea service." Fortunately for the good of mankind, I punched myself in the face and moved on.